Wednesday 21 May 2014

Bird Counting, Victoria Day Weekend

It was certainly a good weekend for it; hardly a drop of rain, not a lot of bugs (yet), and quiet enough to be able to hear the birds singing!  We saw and/or heard a large variety (by “we” I mean Dodie, Myles, and I, at different times); our total for the weekend was 42 species.  I so wish I had a picture of the Black-Backed Woodpecker we saw; it was a first-time sighting for me, and I didn’t have my camera with me.

The Mergansers dropped by to say hello.
004
As soon as I got out the camera, they started to turn away. Camera shy?
There is lots of power in those wings.
005
I should have had the setting on a higher shutter speed.
We counted more Robins than anything else (19). They seemed to be everywhere.
007
Om nom nom...
The Blue Jays were at the feeders, of course.
011
Love the little dangling feet!
I was pleased to see several Veerys. They are friendly little birds.
023
He flew in for this closeup.
Iain got a picture of the Beaver dragging a stick around.
034
I really wish he'd go to another lake - he makes such a mess.
And Nibbles came by for a snack.
016
If he would only content himself with the clover and weeds, and leave my Purple Liatris alone!
The wee Bunny is still living around there somewhere, too.
002
He came to the patio door again, too. He must see his reflection.
Aside from this, the usual assortment of Squirrels and Chipmunks kept the feeders empty!

No comments:

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...