Saturday 17 December 2022

Time To Post Again


I haven't blogged for over a year. The last time I wrote here, I was feeling pretty happy, despite Covid being the asshole it has been (and continues to be). I just haven't had much to say that I thought would be interesting to the world; and I was enjoying being retired, and flying under God's radar - not catching Covid, no deaths in my immediate family, just humming along.

So when Snaps got sick in November of last year, and we lost him in just a few weeks, I didn't come here to talk about it. I was heartbroken - fuck cancer - and I still miss him, but I just didn't want to talk about it. But now I do.

Snaps was the sweetest, funniest guy.  He showed up in our back yard one day in August of 2010. He was just there one day and didn't leave.
When I realized he was eating our chipmunks to survive (He popped up in front of my window with one in his mouth) I began to feed him.

As the weather got wet and chilly as it does in the fall, I couldn't leave him outside any more. I mean, look at this face - who could say no?  

He had a rocky start with Onyx, but soon settled in. Being a male tabby, he was loving with everyone, and soon even Onyx accepted him.

He became an indoor cat quickly and completely. We never had to worry about him running outside - he'd had enough of that life - and when it rained he would walk around the house meowing, as though he remembered how awful it was to be cold and wet.

His favourite game was "kibble chase". His kibbles were large and round, and we would throw them down the hallway for him to find.

Every morning he sat on the couch with me for pets, as I read or played an iPad game. And he was often on my lap, or Iain's, in the evening. But his favourite spot was curled up in front of the fireplace.

Or under our mini-tree.



So, for a while, we had four cats. And then three.


During this time we began to take the cats to the cottage in the summer. He had no desire to be outside, but he loved the cottage, where we entertain our friends often, and he loved being with them.

And then there were two.

And then he left us

I never imagined that our wee Stitches would outlive them all. 

But life goes on, and I still feel young enough to have cats in my life. In my next post, I'll bring you up to date.




No comments:

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...