Tuesday 28 August 2007

Made in....anywhere but here.

The Ottawa Citizen ran articles this weekend by Shelley Page and Randall Denley about our country's increasing reliance on goods manufactured in China. I'm glad to see some concern about this, and I hope people will think about it a bit more.

I always try to buy goods made in Canada, or at least in a country with a better reputation than China. Sometimes, it's damn near impossible to do, however. Just try to buy an umbrella. Trust me, almost ALL of them come from China.

I used to work in manufacturing. The jobs I used to do are now done in the Maquiladora. I can imagine a young woman, dressed neatly, even if the clothes aren't new, leaving her cardboard-and-corrugated-tin shack in the morning, stepping over the open sewer that runs past every hovel, and catching a bus to go and do one of those jobs I used to have. She'll get paid a lot less, maybe 1/10th of what I used to earn. She lives in poverty. I know, because I was not rich on ten times her salary.

The jeans aren't much cheaper, if at all. Lives, however, seem to be going down in price all the time.

1 comment:

Iain said...

We (North American consumers) are becoming our own worst enemy. I could go on at length on this topic. I hope we get some perspective on the global picture - soon, but we're depending on the intelligence of the mob.

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...