Thursday 21 August 2008

Eye Wear

My deep-end friend Wendy had a post the other day about her visit to her eye doctor, and since I work for optometrists I took a keen interest! For one thing, I noted that eye exams are much costlier in the city (our guys charge $85). The glasses sound slightly pricier as well, though it is hard to be sure when you don't know the exact type of lenses.

What interested me most was Dave's comment about intraocular lenses as a fix for presbyopia; so I talked to one of my bosses to get his take on them. He says this is mainly being done in the States right now, and the lens is much like a bifocal contact lens - concentric rings, with both powers present in the lens. Based on that, I think I'll be waiting for a better fix; I have tried the bifocal contacts and absolutely hate them. Bad vision all the time was my experience. I'll wait for a better lens. Meanwhile, there are lots of funky glasses to wear!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deb, yes, I think pricier real estate and rent leads to pricier eye exams!

The lenses in question are progressives, brown transitions, and have anti-scratch, anti-glare, and easy-clean coatings. The optician I'm getting them does not have inexpensive stock, but is a master at adjusting the frames so they don't sit on my plate.

In fact the eye doctor (whose staff also sells eyewear) wrote down his name, as I waxed poetic about Albert's ability to make minute adjustments and see visually if the glasses are sitting correctly. (The optometrist noted it is good to know these things for other patients.)

So in this case, I feel that I am also paying for an outstanding level of service.

Of course, that didn't mitigate the initial sticker shock!!

I think, given the significantly lower price of my distance glasses, I can investigate the single use contacts for open water swimming!

David Rotor said...

Deb,

Don't give up quite yet ... ask you boss to look into multifocal intraocular lenses as opposed to bifocal.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/iols.htm

http://www.docshop.com/education/vision/refractive/iol/

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...