Friday 29 March 2013

Living on the cheap

This paystub is from 1981! I found it with some other stuff I should have thrown out years ago.
I’m not sure what my job title was at that time. Possibly I was in the materials testing lab (which seems to me, in retrospect, to be one of the dumbest things they could have paid me to do; we were making JEANS for heaven’s sake, not airplane parts!).  I spent my days ripping fabric and splitting zippers, all in the name of high quality Wrangler jeans.

paystub 1981

Since I worked a 40 hour week, my hourly pay would have been  $6.50. Things were cheaper then, though: my first apartment rented for $200 per month, and I furnished it with my parents’ stuff that they were willing to let me have, like my own bed and an ancient black and white television.  One of the first purchases I made was a colour tv, and a sweet stereo: both Electrohome, both from Cuff’s in Renfrew.

2 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Frugality! Good trait for weathering uncertain times.

Maybe 80 hours for $260, so $3.25/hr. (before deductions)? Minimum wage in Ontario was at least $2.15 back then, IIRC.

Deb said...

Oh my, that was some typo! Should be $6.50 per hour, not $1.50. I will be changing it forthwith!

I've always loved to budget, that's the truth.

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...