Wednesday 23 May 2007

Baby Turtle

People often wonder why we have a cottage, besides the obvious reason of having been given it by my parents. Cottages are a lot of work - almost like having two homes - and, even with no mortgage, they can be expensive. Well, here's one of the many reasons.

I know, you can hardly see him, but nestled beneath the leaf is a baby painted turtle. His shell was about 1 1/4 inches long, so he must have hatched last year, or possibly the year before. I found him when I was turning one of the kayaks over. He was just sitting there next to it, so I probably interrupted his journey to or from somewhere. Anyway, Iain and I looked at him for a bit, and then put him out of harm's way. He settled himself under this leaf, where he couldn't easily be seen, but where the sun still struck his shell, so he was getting toasty when this shot was taken.

I love this stuff.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm. Basking. There's much to be said for it!

Deb said...

Yes, I'm sure Houdini can appreciate the value of sunbathing!

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...