Tuesday 8 May 2007

Honesty

At work, yesterday, I received a package from a supplier which was a duplicate of an order I'd received on Tuesday. It had the same invoice number, so I wasn't billed twice. Naturally, I called the company to report the error and tell them I'd send it back next time we had a parcel going their way. The rep I spoke to said I made her day, and complimented me on my "professionalism and honesty". She was very pleased, like this was an unusual occurrence.

Now, if I'd been in her position, I don't think I'd have reacted in the same way. I'd have thanked the person, of course, and said I appreciated their contacting me; but isn't honesty what you normally expect from people?

It would seem the answer is "no". I had the same reaction last year, when I called our case supplier to tell them we'd been over-shipped but not billed on an item. I can still remember how amazed that fellow seemed, too.

It's really sad that people expect the worst from others, but since the reps I spoke to work with the public all the time, they probably have reason to think that way.

I'm no angel; I've certainly let greed make me do dumb things in my past. I gotta say that doing the right thing feels a whole lot better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sadly I think it will become more and more unusual.

Saying thank you is also important. And I don't think it happens as often as it should, either.

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...