Saturday 19 January 2008

Are you looking at me?

Sometimes, no matter how innocent you are, you will end up on somebody's hate list anyway. This happened to me yesterday at work, when a woman who'd had a discussion on the phone with another employee - and taken offense, mainly because she was wrong and didn't want to hear it - showed up at our office. I saw her, through the glass that fronts my work area, and she was looking at me with such dislike that if we were cartoon characters I'd have been impaled by the darts.
I was a little confused by this, because I had no idea who she was, or why she was there, but decided it best to avoid eye-contact with her from then on. When I talked to my co-workers about it later, we deduced she was suffering from mistaken identity and thought, for some reason, that I was the culprit who'd spoken to her on the phone originally. Unless she was just angry at everyone in the office, and I was a bit more sensitive to it because it caught me by surprise. Anyway, it was an interesting way to end the week (it's like people with attitude have to show up just before 5:00 on Friday).
When I related the story to Iain, later, his suggestion was that I could have given her a big, cheery wave 'hello', and a huge grin, but, as I explained to him, we are not allowed to taunt the patients, no matter how ugly they are.
In other news, a note on Virgil's Sodas. Iain has some spare time, now that he's an unemployed person, so he dropped a line to Farmboy to find out why there was so little of the bottled joy left on the shelf when we were at the Kanata store last. Turns out they only get it in seasonally or randomly, and it's best to phone ahead to see if it is available. So I can't promise you'll find it in any of their stores, but it is definitely worth the effort to look for it, trust me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup. Sometimes you just get the wrong end of it.

Deb said...

We all had a good laugh about it, anyway.

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...