Friday 12 October 2007

And speaking about the election...

...did anyone else find the voting procedure particularly idiotic this time? I felt sorry for the people working at the polls. This is how it went for me:



First, I gave them the note from the government which says where I live and that I can vote. Then, I gave them my license, to prove my address belonged to me (what if I'd been in the middle of moving and hadn't changed it yet?). Good thing I had that - a guy in Ottawa presented his passport and they turned him away (really - my imagination is good, but I didn't make it up). Then she found me on the list and stroked off my name. The lady beside her asked me to say my name and address, before she handed me my ballot. After I marked it, before I put it into the box, she asked me my name again.



In the city this may seem quite reasonable. In a small town, not so much; I know one of the women personally. It seemed silly.



Also rather a bother was how far we had to drive to vote. We used to always vote within 4 or 5 blocks, depending on which location they chose. This time, we had to go 1.4 miles! Have a look at this map: the purple shows how far we went to vote. Not a big deal, until you realize how large that route is compared to the size of Renfrew!

They also put the polls on the second floor. Which meant anyone who couldn't do the stairs had to go and wait for the elevator. I feel sorry for older folks who had never been there before having to fin the elevator amid the throng of children entering or exiting the ice surface at the rink. The area is noisy and chilly, and there are usually bags of equipment everywhere.

I feel better now that I've had my little rant. Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

I can understand a possible issue with the passport - a lot of people have the same name - but having *both* the voter registration card and the ID ought to be sufficient.

I appreciate ritual for important occasions, but once you've presented the required ID having to say your name and address seems over the top. Perhaps it's specific to a definition of a criminal act or evidence thereof - making a false statement.

Unknown said...

I voted in the advance polls, and voted a neighbour's proxy.

After all the proving outside the polling station, I had to repeat my name and address after handing in my registration card, but did not have to prove again I was who I said I was. But as I went to vote, the lady said to me, "You're Wendy."

When I returned to pick up his ballots, having allowing them sufficient time to process his now extensive paperwork, I had to say where he lived. And as I went to the polling booth, the lady said to me, "You're Austin." So when I put the ballot in the box, I smiled sweetly and said, "I am now Austin!"

Deb said...

Yeah, Brent, I'm sure they had good reason - it just felt silly going through it.

Wendy, I like your story better than mine! I only got to be me.

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...