Wednesday 6 February 2008

Home town eccentrics

Do you remember Hawkeye in M*A*S*H reading aloud from his hometown paper, and the items were quaintly humourous, or perhaps small-town weird? I was reminded of that today when I read the local Mercury. Renfrew is home to some interesting people.
One item was a 4x6 ad announcing the upcoming federal candidacy of a man who believes he is on a mission from God (and no, his name wasn't Jake or Elwood). I've been told he was involved in the last election as well, but didn't win, so I guess he's trying again. His campaign slogan is "I Am The Way", and this campaign is to fulfil a promise he made to God as a child. He's giving a speech later this month, and tickets are available at a local convenience store. I'm tempted to go, just out of curiosity - but I won't.
The other thing that caught my eye was an article about an erstwhile chef (and he really did make the most awesome carrot soup) who believes he has invented a perpetual motion machine he calls a Perepiteia. He doesn't actually live in Renfrew anymore, but has ties to the area, so they interviewed him for the local paper. He was also interviewed by The Toronto Star, and you can read it here. Personally, I can't follow any of the mechanics or science involved, and trying to watch the video made me very sleepy after two minutes.
But they are interesting people, for certain.

2 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Saw a snippet at the website Boing Boing on the demo to Zahn; the world is watching!

Deb said...

Iain and I are both of the opinion that perpetual motion is about as likely to be possible as the philosopher's stone, but there may be a useful side effect to what this man has discovered, energy conservation-wise.

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...