Monday 10 March 2008

I took the day off work to go to my Aunt Rachel's funeral, and it turned out to be a good idea, as I have been feeling under the weather all day...just very tired and headachy. We took a spin into the cottage since we were in the neighbourhood, and Iain waded through the above-the-knee snow to pick up the last of the vinyl collection that I'm moving to digital. The snow was deeper in some spots: Mom's garden fence, which stands over three feet, was invisible in some places.
When we got home, Iain made me a nice hot toddy, and I snoozed on the couch until Tim Brennan called to invite us out for supper. I couldn't work up the berries to go anywhere, so I sent Iain on his own. He just called, and is planning to stay there overnight, as a bottle of wine is being uncorked, so I should be able to get to bed early and get lots of rest. Hopefully that will eliminate whatever it is I'm fighting! I also hope to finish - or close to it - 'Shake Hands With The Devil', which I've been reading for a few weeks. I'm usually a slow reader, but this book is being more difficult than some. Dallaire writes in detail about the Rwanda mission, to the point where I can't keep track of all the different people, movements and organizations (UNAMIR, RDP, RGP, Interahamwe, DKNY - wait a minute, that's not right, is it? - but you get the idea). An interesting, sad, infuriating story, which casts the UN and all the power countries in a very poor light.

2 comments:

David Rotor said...

Elaine worked her way through Dallaire's book last year. She's braver than I ... I haven't been able to pick it up yet.

Deb said...

Nice to hear from you, Dave! I made a good dent in it last night, but still have about 80 pages to go. Im looking forward to some lighter reading when I'm done.

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...