Monday 3 March 2008

Juncoyard

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but for Christmas I was given one of those squirrel-proof bird feeders. The only problem is that a lot of the birds can't really figure it out either. Apart from a couple of chickadees, I've yet to see the perch getting any use. So, once or twice a week, I go out and clean the snow out of the food trough and sprinkle seeds on the ground beneath the feeder, and am rewarded by the attendance of a few birds: in this morning's instance, several juncos.
The feeder really does seem to be squirrel proof, however; the other day I saw a black (grey) squirrel climb the pole, reach out one paw to touch the clear plastic side of the feeder (much as if he thought he could just grab the seeds) and then turn back down the pole, without making any more effort.
March is here, and it has come in like a lamb - so you know what we can expect for the end of the month.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love juncos! They flit.

March came in like a lamb? I thought it was very much like a big cat!

Brent Buckner said...

Squirrel Mission!

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...