Sunday 29 April 2007

Assumptions

Well, I feel a little better today, after talking to my friend Debbie last night. She tells me that Ikea (a store I LOVE) has little chandelier bulbs which are flourescent! I do tend to make assumptions sometimes, and this was one of those times. We all make them, but something I saw in today's paper made me think about it a bit.

Two lovely young girls were killed near Pakenham, struck by a car while walking home after a party, on a foggy night. One of them is a cousin of a cousin, but I didn't know either of them. It is an awful tragedy for the families and their friends.

The thing that upset me was that the newspaper printed a picture of a broken beer bottle by the side of the road where the girls were killed. Now, the report says that alcohol was not a factor, and the driver is not being charged, so what is this picture meant to imply? And why does the newspaper decide to make this implication?

Have you ever broken out in a cold sweat because you just narrowly avoided serious injury or worse, and it was due to some dumb mistake? Who hasn't? We all do it. I don't think walking on a foggy night is the highest risk-taking action I've ever heard of. Let those poor girls rest in peace, and don't try to lay blame.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Home Depot, Canadian Tire, and others also have flourescent chandelier bulbs. But I'm hoping there will be exceptions to the no incandescent rule. Amongst other issues, it would make things easier for those who keep reptiles!

Deb said...

Yeah, how do you heat up Houdini with a flourescent light? She is lovely under any light. however.

Unknown said...

We're always glad when other folks think so, too!

UV is supplied by a special flourescent bulb, but overhead heat? Not so much!

And medical applications? There will have to be exceptions ...

It's Winter....

 Not a fan, but winter is something one survives (hopefully) so that spring may occur. I miss Stitches, very much. Fortunately, we have Jasp...